Make sure all family members know what to do in the event of a fire. Practice staying low to the ground when escaping. Feel all doors before opening them. If a door is hot, get out another way.
Learn to stop, drop to the ground and roll if clothes catch fire.
Keep space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that may burn. Never leave heaters on when you leave home or go to sleep. Children and pets should always be kept away from them.
Keep cooking areas clear of combustibles and wear short or tight fitting sleeves when you cook. Keep the handles of your pots turned inward so they do not hang over the stove.
If an appliance smokes or has an unusual smell, unplug it immediately and have it repaired. Replace frayed or cracked electrical cords and don’t overload extension cords. Cords should never be run underneath rugs.
Each home should have a first aid kit to use when needed.